Cleartype in the ribbon.

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 15 years ago by Leighton Haynes
I read this: http://blog.actiprosoftware.com/post/2008/04/03/WPF-and-Aero-glass-causes-ClearType-to-fall-back-to-grayscale-antialiasing.aspx and was wondering it there's been any followup or if there's any solution coming.

Not having Cleartype in the ribbon is actually a pretty obvious shortcoming in our application and has been immediately noticeable to all of the people who have seen it so far.

I did notice that the windows 7 theme doesn't have any graphical elements overlapping between the title bar area and the main window/ribbon area which might open up the possibility of using a secondary hwnd for the main ribbon area which would not need to be transparent and might let us use cleartype?

Cheers,
Leighton...

Comments (3)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Leighton,

Unfortunately that issue is a problem with how Microsoft designed WPF and there's nothing we can really do to help on our end and still achieve the same UI look as in Office. Getting into adding another hwnd in the main area may open up a host of new issues that we'd rather not get into, especially considering what is coming.

If you check out this URL, you can see MS finally listened to all the complaining on this issue and are supposedly offering an option (RenderOptions.ClearTypeHint) that allows ClearType to work. This will be in .NET 4.0:
http://blogs.msdn.com/wpf3d/archive/2009/06/24/what-s-new-in-graphics-for-4-0-beta-1.aspx

[Modified at 08/18/2009 01:45 PM]

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Leighton Haynes
Thanks for the response, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Will Actipro need to release a new version to support this fix, and if so, can you give an indication when it will be released?

Cheers,
Leighton...
Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Leighton,

I'm not thinking it's anything we'd need to do. My guess is that you'd probably just set that attribute on the RibbonWindow and it should work.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.