Actipro Ribbonwindow and Visual Studio 2010 (framework 4)

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Arthur Damen
Version: 9.2.0515
Platform: .NET 4.0
Environment: Windows 7 (32-bit)
I just moved over to visual studio 2010 and
When closing the ribbonwindow i get the error:

"An attempt has been made to free an RCW that is in use. The RCW is in use on the active thread or another thread. Attempting to free an in-use RCW can cause corruption or data loss."

Is this a known problem with visual studio 2010?
Is this solved in the 2010.1 release?

Comments (2)

Posted 14 years ago by Arthur Damen
what I found out is that when the visual studio debug setting

"Enable the visual studio hosting process"

is disabled. The message comes.

It also has to do with the setwindowlongptr api call.
Probably the ribbon window uses this api call.
Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Arthur,

We've been investigating this today and have been talking to some of the WPF group at Microsoft. The reply we got from Microsoft is that:

1) It requires running the process as 64 bit (which happens less for new projects now, since x86 is the default project template rather than AnyCPU).

2) It is a confirmed VS/.NET bug that Microsoft has logged and is aware of, but they don't yet know when any sort of fix will be made.

Also their reply ended with this, which tells you how to turn off the error message:

Quote:
It’s not actually a crash, it’s a Managed Debugging Assistant warning. You’ll also only see it when a debugger is attached. I think it’s benign since it only happens on the shutdown path, but it’s a sign of something wrong in the framework.
You can disable it in VS through Debug -> Exceptions -> Managed Debugging Assistants, and then uncheck the "RaceOnRCWCleanup" item.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.