Accessibility - screen reader issues

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by FinallyInSeattle
Version: 10.1.0521
We're starting our effort to ensure that our application is accessible. I'm finding issues with the ribbon in our app that I've been able to duplicate in your samples. In running your sample browser (Document Editor demo), I noticed the following issues using JAWS 11 (uses WPF's UIA model):

1) The buttons contained within the File menu do not announce their label when you arrow through them. However, if you go to one of the buttons that has a submenu (Print for example), when you arrow the buttons in the submenu, they do announce their label. I find that the buttons within the other ribbon tabs announce their label. I've also noticed that the buttons in the footer don't announce their label either.

2) The RecentDocuments control - neither the file name nor the pin control reads out any information.

3) If you allow the Ribbon to get focus and arrow through the tabs, you'll notice that each tab announces its label except for "Format" (your contextual tab).

4) When a tab has focus, pressing the down arrow moves focus down into the contents of the tab. The particular button that gets focus differs from the Office implementation. In Office 2010, it is the first button in the tab that gets focus. In your sample, it seems to be the button that is closest to the location of the tab.

5) The left/right arrows work when navigating through the contents of a tab. I'm seeing an issue in our application that I don't see in yours (perhaps because you don't have many disabled buttons).
a) Focus is on a PopupButton that is the last button in a group.
b) The 1st button in the next group is disabled.
c) If you press the right arrow, focus goes back up to the tabs instead of going to the 2nd button in the next group.

What is the potential for having these issues addressed in the next release and what is the general timeframe? Are there workarounds that would allow us to fix these issues?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - Just a side note: I've noticed that, if you're using Jaws, it doesn't read things out correctly if you're running within VS 2010. To try out my app (and yours), I have to run the .exe directly.

[Modified at 04/28/2010 02:50 PM]

Comments (7)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hello,

1) I'm not sure why JAWS isn't reading those, as they are fully visible when using UISpy. We fixed an issue where the footer items and the recent items were not showing up in UISpy, so hopefully that will be fixed when using JAWS also.

2) This should be fixed in the next maintenance release (see above).

3) This also shows up fine in UISpy, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with JAWS not picking it up correctly. Have you tried UISpy, to see if it is picking up these items?

4&5) For both of these, currently WPF handles all arrow navigation for us, which I believe is using nearest neighbor. We've put a TODO item to look into this further, but not sure when we'll get to it.

Actipro Software Support

Using your Document Editor sample:

QUESTION:
3) If you allow the Ribbon to get focus and arrow through the tabs, you'll notice that each tab announces its label except for "Format" (your contextual tab).
RESPONSE:
This also shows up fine in UISpy, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with JAWS not picking it up correctly. Have you tried UISpy, to see if it is picking up these items?

FINDINGS:
JAWS reads out the Name property for the TextBlock control that is directly under the "Format" tab item unlike all the other tabs where it reads out the Name property for the actual tab item. This sounds like a "focus" issue - a different element is being focused on contextual tabs in this scenario.
Hello,

Just a quick update. We've fixed the issue relating to the Format tab, but are still looking into the Application menu issue.

Actipro Software Support

Hello,

We were able to resolve the issue with Format tab and the issue with the root menu items in the application menu.

Unfortunately, we were unable to figure out why the footer items of the application menu are not being read by JAWS. We'd recommend you check with them to see why those items are not being picked up, eventhough UISpy clearly displays them.

[Modified at 05/06/2010 09:20 AM]

Actipro Software Support

I've tested out the Application menu with both UISpy and Inspect and what seems to happen is that the focus that these tools (and Jaws tracks) is staying at a higher level than the footer buttons. I have a screenshot of this that I'll email - Inspect's "yellow rectangle" that indicates focus surrounds the entire dropdown as opposed to the individual elements.
I've tried out the latest version (build 522) and there's just two items left on our wish list:

1) The pin/unpin button in the Recent Document control doesn't read out using JAWS - Name property is unset.
2) It would be best if the text in the footer buttons read out with JAWS.

Thanks very much for your updates.
Hello,

We've corrected #1 for the next maintenance release, but again for #2 we'd recommend you work with JAWS to figure out why it's not reading those items. We've tried several changes that fixed other items, to no avail.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.