Help distributing licensed version

Wizard for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by frabu
I followed the required steps for upgrading from evaluation version to full version.
The license.licx has been generated and registered in the project as "embedded resource".
Everything works well on my Developper PC but when I release my project, there is no "licenses.licx" in the "release" or "debug" subdirectory and my user get the "welcome" wizard panel.
What i have to do or to check ?
My user needs quickly a clean version of Wizard.

Regards
Frank

Comments (23)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Which version of Wizard do you run? Also what does the line in your project's licenses.licx file say for Wizard?

Actipro Software Support

Version 2.00.0080: the last one
Content of licenses.licx being at the project level (where the file xxx.csproj is):

ActiproSoftware.Wizard.Wizard, ActiproSoftware.Wizard, Version=2.0.80.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=53a3b129038e6cf4
SkySoftware.FolderViewControl.FolderView, SkySoftware.FolderView, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d645dd87b2631575
SkySoftware.ShComboBoxControl.ShComboBox, SkySoftware.ShComboBox, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d645dd87b2631575
SkySoftware.FileViewControl.FileView, SkySoftware.FileView, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d645dd87b2631575
Does the popup dialog say Full Release or Evaluation Release?

Actipro Software Support

The first line of the "About Wizard" dialog is:

Version 2.00.0080 (Evaluation Release)
Controls Included:
WIZARD

So, two questions:
- how can I check the version I release in my .NET Project (Which works perfectly on my Developer side)
- what do I have to do for releasing the right full version or what does the user have to do on her side ?

Regards
Frank
Hi Frank,

If it says Evaluation Release on the popup then that is bad. You need to ensure that you have uninstalled all the evaluation releases and have installed the full release on your build machine. Then ensure that you only distribute the full release with your application.

Actipro Software Support

>Then ensure that you only distribute the full release with your application.
How can I make sure to distribute the full release ?
Any clue like version # or whatever ?

Frank
You should make sure you have all evaluation releases uninstalled before you get the full release from our Customer Relations web site. Make sure all the instances of the Wizard assembly are gone from your computer before installing the full release.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by TommyM
I'm having similar problems, and after spending about 2 hours trying to figure out how to make sure the licensed copy is getting distributed...I'm throwing up my hands.

My license.licx file contains the following entry:

ActiproSoftware.Wizard.Wizard, ActiproSoftware.Wizard, Version=3.0.102.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d00326104f1b454d

I have removed all versions of the software, and reinstalled the fully licensed version. However, whenever I distribute the app (which works just fine on the dev machine), I get the "evaluation release" prompt.

Just for info...this app is being built using an nant script if that changes anything.
So it actually says Evaluation Release on the popup or does it say Full Release?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by TommyM
It actually says "Evaluation Release", but only when the app is distributed. When it is run locally on the dev machine, there is no popup.
Tommy I'm going to email you for some more in-depth help.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Nate
Hello,

I have been trying to release an application with the Wizard control and I can't figure out how to get the activation popup to go away.

I have been reading all of the threads and followed all of the steps in the Licensing FAQ. The activation popup displays "Full Release", I have the actipro.wizard entry in my License.licx file, but I am still not having any luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nate
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Nate, I'm emailing you to help. Please reply to my email and we'll get it sorted out.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Bill Walburg
I am also having problems distributing an application with the Wizard control. I am getting the 'Evaluation Release' dialog on the target deployment machine.

I am trying to deploy a VC++ .NET Forms application. I have installed the Full version of the control. The evaluation version was never installed on my machine. The License file shows up in my project, but I can't tell if it is included as an Embedded Resource (VC++ .NET is a little different than VB or VC# .NET, I don't get the same popup menus). The license file contains the appropriate reference to the wizard.

The Wizard DDLs along with the application executable get placed in my installer file. But, when I install the application on the target machine and run it, I get the evaluation release window. The application works just fine on the development machine. I can launch the Debug or Release binary and it runs just fine.

Is there a difference in building the wizard license into a VC++ .NET application?
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Bill,

Emailing us with licensing issues is the best way to go since generally when people have issues, it's something unique to their case.

C++ is a bit different than C# or VB.NET because I believe you have to run LC.EXE explicitly to compile the license data into your assembly. Please look into that and if you still have issues, send us an email and we can help you resolve it.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Samidha Surve
Hello,

We are also facing same issue. Kindly check my scenario as follow.
1) We have WPF application
2) It used ActivePro. We have 3 developer license with us along with one license key.
3) We had install this version on 2 machines already.
4) On second machine, which is on our enviornment, we have cruise control integration with VSS. The out dll of our application is distruable to any body. It works every where without any error.
5) Now we had to do all this setup on client enviornment.
5.1) On client machine we have installed 3rd license with same key
5.2) On same machine we have installed Cruise Control integrated with SVN.
5.3) CI gets latest from SVN and build the application.
5.4) We have referenced dll with licenses dll.
5.5) While building the application MSBuild ask for Active pro "Full Release" pop up. To solve this problem we remove LICX file from Properties folder also we removed dependancy from CSPROJ project. Now MSBuild success without any confirmation or purchase pop up. But after distributing the same application on different machine it ask for "Evaluation Release" pop up.

Kindly help us out what do we do in such case.

[Modified at 05/20/2009 01:28 AM]
Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Please email us directly so we can work with you on the licensing issue but some quick things to point out for everyone's benefit:

1) You should NEVER install the official Actipro control setups on client machines using our installer or license key. You should only install the official Actipro control setups on your developer machines and build machines. Then you can XCOPY our dlls with your product or install them via one of your own installers.

2) If you remove the licenses.licx file from your project, then license data will NOT be compiled into your application and thus you will get licensing errors when you deploy on other client machines. If you had popups on compile, then we need to help you sort those out instead. You must keep the licenses.licx file in your project.

First, please read through our Licensing FAQ page on our Support site. See if that helps give you the info you need. There are special instructions for C++ licensing at the bottom of the page if you are using C++.

If that doesn't help you sort out your issues, please email us instead. We prefer to work on licensing issues via email since we usually need to discuss confidential information related to licensing.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Samidha Surve
Thank you.

This is to inform you that we have installed ActiPro not on the client machine, it has been installed on Build Machine which resides on client side.

We have removed licx file from all project, but when we remove it does not give any pop ups on MSBuild for such case. But if we distribute this application, then on other machine we get this pop up as "Evaluation Release". Then we added the same for project but MSBuild now gives pop up with "Full Release".

Now let me know what should we do to hide this pop up, because we are building our application using CruiseControl and CI gets abruptly ends up when this pop up occurs.
Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
As I said, please email us directly so we can work with you further. Thank you.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 9 years ago by Arun Kumar Mateti

Hello Support team,

We have a Windows application

We are having license.licx issue when we try to build the application from MicrosoftTFS Build  via Queue new build. On local Dev machine we are not facing any issues when we build. Below is the error when we try to build on Build server machine:

Build Error: Properties\licenses.licx (2): Exception occurred creating type 'ActiproSoftware.UIStudio.Dock.DockManager, ActiproSoftware.UIStudio.Dock, Version=1.5.39.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=***************System.InvalidOperationException: Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.

NOTE: On Build server machine we have the FULL release installed.

Please do the needful.

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Arun,

Please email us at our support address and we will work with you to resolve the issue.  In general though, as long as you have the full version of UIStudio installed on your build machine (in your case it must be exactly v1.5.0039) and assuming that you don't use any other components of ours, it shouldn't be trying to show the license dialog.  I would recommend manually compiling it on that build machine to see what is showing.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 9 years ago by Arun Kumar Mateti

Hi Support team,

In the earlier message the build is in reference with TFS MS Build and not the normal  Visual Studio solution compile build. We have no error with solution compile.

Its only when we try to distribute the application while TFS MS build we are getting the error.

NOTE: we tried with 1.5.0039..but no luck

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello, we will reply to your related private support ticket instead.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.