Accelerator Key (Access Key) Bug in Dock Controls

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Yuji Kinoshita
Version: 2.0.0109
Platform: .NET 3.5
Environment: Windows XP (32-bit)
1. Open C# Sample Project (for VS 2008)
2. Add a Label control to eventsToolWindow, and set Text property "&Label".
3. Add a TextBox control to eventsToolWindow.
4. Launch Sample "Dock C# Sample" window.
5. Click "Welcome to UIStudio" markupLabelToolWindow.
6. Press "L" key. (without Alt key)
7. Focus moves to TextBox in eventsToolWindow.

Comments (3)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Yuji,

This is something that WinForms is doing and is out of our control. As a test I made a simple new Form (where I put two TabControls on it. One the left TabControl I added a Button. On the right TabControl I added the "&Label" Label and a TextBox. No Actipro controls were used.

When I ran it, focused the button and pressed 'L' the same thing happened.

[Modified at 07/01/2010 03:36 PM]

Actipro Software Support

Posted 14 years ago by Yuji Kinoshita
Thank you for reply.
I can see the same thing in your sample. This is the WinForms's Bug. However, I think that Actipro ToolWindow/DocumentWindow are not the WinForms TabControl. and I can not see the same thing in VS2008 (example project property document window and other tool window). Do you mean to say the UIStudio can not use access key at ToolWindow/DocumentWindow?
Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Yuji,

All I'm saying is that this seems to be some behavior built into WinForms, such that if a control that doesn't handle a text key has focus and there is a label somewhere else with an accelerator, that it will be fired without the Alt key when it is typed. As I mentioned I was able to easily repro it without even using our controls.

I agree that it certainly is a user functionality bug, but I'm not sure of a way around it since it's happening in the core WinForms framework and is not due to our code. Note that Visual Studio is not written in WinForms, so they don't natively get that behavior.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.