Posted 20 years ago by Mark - Greenville, SC
When I have multiple tabs in the TabStripPanel, and I right click on a tab and select 'New Vertical Tab Group' (or horizontal), it splits the tab strip into two groups, which is what I want. However, if in one of the newly split groups, I select a different tab, the other tab group goes 'blank' and doesn't show the window. If I select that tab, it will show the window, but the other tab group doesn't show it's window. Initially I can see both windows, but once I start clicking on other tabs, I Can only see one window at a time.

Basically, I want this functionality so I can compare two windows side-by-side. Again, I would expect it to mimic the VS.NET IDE, which handles this correctly. THis is a critical feature for us, as we are migrating our application from an MDI application to an SDI application, and there are times when the user wants to look at two windows simultaneously.

Maybe I am doing something wrong? Wouldn't be the first time!

Mark

Comments (9)

Posted 20 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
I'm wondering if this is something that you're doing in your application because it should be able to show two document windows at the same time without any problems. Check out our sample application.

Actipro Software Support

I am sure it is something with my code...you are correct....the sample application works as expected. Maybe I didn't implement a certain event. Any ideas of what event(s) I might need to implement? I will continue to research.

Thanks,

Mark
You shouldn't need to implement anything to get that to work. It's built-in functionality.

Actipro Software Support

Well, there is some sort of event or something going on. It works when I run your sample App, but my app doesn't. The 'unselected' tab group doesn't display the window - it is like a refresh issue of some sort.
I haven't heard of anyone else having issues like that and this version has been out for a while. Are you perhaps using some sort of custom control as your document window child? If so try swapping in regular TextBoxes or something like that and see if you still have the issue.

Actipro Software Support

This may be a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway. All of your samples use 'User Controls' for your windows. Is that a requirements, or can you use regular forms for your 'document' windows? Just curious.

Mark
FYI...I found my code that was causing this problem. It was some old code that I had in place before adding your DocumentWindow control that was 'hiding' windows when the active window changed. Anyway, that problem is resolved. However, I would like to know if you HAVE to use User Controls for all of your Document Windows? I can't really find an answer to that in the help.

Thanks,
Mark
You can use any control as a child control however Form's are not recommended because they have issues when embedded in control hierarchies. We also found some strange .NET selection issues with some controls when they were not encapsulated by a UserControl so that's why we do recommend the use of UserControls.

Actipro Software Support

Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't 'missing something' and using User Controls for no reason. They work fine...just wanted to confirm.

Thanks again for all the help.
Mark
The latest build of this product (v2.0.0208) was released 19 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.