PreText & PostText don't work as expected in CompletionItems

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 13 years ago by Craig - Varigence, Inc.
Version: 10.2.0531
Platform: .NET 4.0
Environment: Windows 7 (32-bit)
I have an application where I'm using the WPF SyntaxEditor and am displaying completion lists. It's working well except for two problems that I believe are bugs:

1. When I create a new CompletionItem (to add to the session's Items list), I give it a Text value in its constructor, but may also give it an autoCompletePreText and autoCompletePostText. My expectation from the documentation is that if I provide both, (as in new CompletionItem("Bob", new CommonImageSourceProvider(CommonImage.PropertyPublic, null, "(", ")"); ), and the user selects that intelliprompt item, they'll see (Bob) inserted into the editor. Instead, all I'm seeing is () - so the preText and the postText, with no regular Text in between. If this is the intended behavior, how can I get preText and postText to work with text inserted in between?

2. In the sample app I've sent off that repros this, I'm also seeing that after I double click on a completion item, the syntax editor throws a NullReferenceException and the application crashes.

Please let me know if you need more information. I am sending over a sample application that reproduces the issue.

Thanks,

-Craig

Comments (2)

Posted 13 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
Hi Craig,

I can comment on item #1. This looks like the intended behavior as I understand. When you only provide 'Text' (no pre- or post-text), it will use the provided text as the pre-text for completion and leave post-text blank. If you manually populate the pre- and post-text values, the 'Text' is used for displays purposes in the list only, and the inserted text will be what you entered.

I assume you want to insert "Bob()" instead of "()" with the caret between parenthesis, so you would need to set...
Text = "Bob" (for display without the parenthesis)
PreText = "Bob("
PostText = ")"
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Craig,

Boyd is right on #1, when you specify pre- and post-text, those will be what is inserted and the normal "text" is only for display purposes.

For #2, it appears there were issues if you tried opening a second session in the DocumentTextChanged event fired by the first session's commit. We've updated code for the next maintenance release that allows this and I successfully tested it with your sample.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.