How can I revert the ToolWindow's appearance?

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Josh Dice
Hi,

I like the new look of the ToolWindows in the WPF Studio 2011.2 release but our application isn't ready for this change yet and we'd like to benefit from the other changes available in this release. How can I change the style of the ToolWindows to look like they did in pre-2011.2 releases? I've tried changing themes but that doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks,
Josh

Comments (12)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Josh,

Unfortunately we don't have the old styles available in 2011.2. That being said, our Themes QuickStarts show how you can customize individual brushes per theme. You can tweak brushes however you need to alter the look. For our info, what about the new themes is holding you back?

Actipro Software Support

Alright I'll see if I can work my way through customizing one of the themes to look like the old theme.

In development we like the new themes but we have to get buy-in from product management. To change the look of our UI this drastically in a minor release isn't acceptable. We also didn't factor time into our release planning to handle creating custom themes. This is something we assumed wouldn't change and even if it did we expected a simple path to get back to what we had.

This is quite frustrating.

Josh
I'd bet we're not the only customer who isn't happy with this change. It would go a long way if Actipro would supply a custom theme that matches the old theme.

Josh
Hi Josh,

We're certainly open to offering an alternate look if we find that a lot of customers don't like the VS-like higher contrast look. But in order to do that, we first need to know specifically what is disliked. Is it just that the workspace area is too dark? Also, which themes do you use in your app?

You had mentioned your development team liked the look, but you were just waiting to get management approval since it's a large visual change for a small release of yours. While we can possibly do updates in the future to add a lighter look via the customization of brushes, it still wouldn't match the old version's exact appearance since the templates are very different now.

Actipro Software Support

Maybe it's not the theme that's the issue. The biggest change is the docking window title bars and tool bars but the themes don't all affect them.

We used the default theme for the majority of the app and the Office2007Blue theme for a few dialogs. It would be nice if you could at least provide a "how to" post on getting the docking windows back to their original style. If that's going to be hard for Actipro to do imagine how hard it's going to be for us and other customers.

Josh
Posted 12 years ago by Marc Ziss
I agree with Josh on this one, the previous version's look and feel were very similar to the product we are trying to replace (which our users are used to), and I would really like to have that look available to me.
I'm a developer not a designer so I'd prefer not to spend countless hours getting the look that was just the default back.
Marc

ps I think the actipro library is awesome; just like the old colors better.
Hi Josh and Marc,

Thank you for your feedback. Our themes updates in 2011.2 affect colors (brushes) and styles/templates. There are literally hundreds of updates/enhancements made throughout our products for the 2011.2 version.

For us to be able to help with suggestions and/or future enhancements for you, we really need very specific examples of things you are looking to change, such as in a bulleted list.

For instance, Marc, are the tab shapes and layout fine and it's more of you just wanting the colors to be a bit more muted and neutral in general?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Marc Ziss
Colors mostly, but the default margins between parts seems to be wider and as a result things dont seem to line up as neatly as well.
We've been looking into this and what we're probably going to try and do is make another Themes sample in a future build that shows several Docking variants for some themes. The variants will render with colors similar to how they looked in 2011.1. It won't be exactly the same but will be close and will at least give you some complete full-source examples for achieving that look.

Actipro Software Support

How can I track this feature?
Hi Josh,

We've started into it a bit. We hope to have it ready for the next maintenance release. It may still be 2-3 weeks out though.

Actipro Software Support

Thank you for the update.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.