Wishlist for next release of SyntaxEditor

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Kasper
Hi guys,

There are at least two things that I would really like to see in the next release of SyntaxEditor for WPF, which are already in the WinForms version: Indicators and matching bracket highlighting. I'm especially waiting for indicators, since a part of the functionality that I wish to provide is depending on this. Do you have any idea when these two things will be available? Judging from a search in this forum, other users are waiting for them as well :)

Comments (19)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Kasper,

Yes those are now higher priority items on the TODO list, especially since we just implemented features like parameter info, code fragments, and single line mode in 2011.2. Sorry I don't have a target date but we are knocking things out as best we can.

Actipro Software Support

That's good to hear :). How about CodeSnippets? That must be item number 3 on my, after the latest release, pretty short wishlist :)
Hi Kasper,

Yes, code snippets is another one near the top of the list.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Martin - Blaise - Statistics Netherlands
Can i vote for snippets to get it higher on the list? ;)
Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello, we wanted to let you know that IntelliPrompt code snippets are coming in the 2012.1 version. Please see this blog post for details.

Actipro Software Support

That's really good news, but what about indicators? I really, really need them soon, and trying to implement them my self doesn't make much sense when I know that they will be a part of a future release - I just hope it's the next one? :)

Sorry they won't be part of the first 2012.1 release but we'll likely try to implement them in a 2012.1 maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

Hi guys,

What's the current status for indicators and bracket highlighting? I would really love to see it in the next maintenance release :)

Nothing yet, we are knocking out some other high priority SyntaxEditor features for upcoming releases though.

Actipro Software Support

I'm sorry to hear that. I suppose you are prioritizing this based on what other customers are requesting, but I really think that at least indicators are such an essential feature. I for one will not be able to release my product before I have indicators, and I have already been waiting for it for quite some time now. I can understand that you wish to implement new stuff, but am I really the only one who has gone from WinForms to WPF and who really needs the OLD features the most? :)

They are one of the top items remaining on the TODO list.  And FYI, the other things we're working on now (also high priority) are features that were in WinForms as well but not yet in WPF.

We have a fully working sample of span indicators anyhow that can be done with the existing object model.  I'm not sure if you've seen it or not (we don't have it in the public samples) but we can send it to you if you email our support address.  All the adornment and tagging features are already in place to support span indicators.  We just need to wrap them up in a nicer higher-level package to make them easier to consume.  But as our sample shows, it's fully possibly to make things like breakpoint indicators now.

Actipro Software Support

Hi,

I haven't seen that sample at all, so I would definitely like to :). The main thing I need is breakpoint indicators, but I would like bookmark indicators as well - I assume that they are done pretty much the same way?

How about matching bracket highlighting? I _really_ liked the way you did in SE for WinForms, as it allowed me to highlight start/end HTML tags as well. Is this also on your short list? It seems like a much smaller feature than indicators, and yet I would expect that a lot of your customers needs it like I do :)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the next release as always! Keep up the good work :)

Hi Kasper,

You can e-mail our support address if you want the breakpoint sample.  It uses a tag to track a text range, like a span indicator in WinForms.  Bookmarks are generally (but not always) line-based, and we don't have a sample of that yet.

Bracket highlighting is one of the next features we'll likely add.

Actipro Software Support

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

We're happy to announce that delimiter highlighting has been added as a feature in the upcoming 2012.2 versions of SyntaxEditor. More detail is here:

http://blog.actiprosoftware.com/post.aspx?id=f0d37707-b41e-4f62-aca6-f92be80fba0e

Actipro Software Support

Great news!! I don't suppose that you can make my day even better by telling me that indicators will be a part of this release as well? :)

Hi Kasper,

Sorry, not yet.  But in the meantime I believe we already sent you a sample showing you how to make indicator-like functionality with the existing framework.

Actipro Software Support

No, you haven't sent it to me yet, but feel free to do so :)

Would it be possible for you to give me any indication on when we'll see real indicator support though? I promise that I won't hold any date against you, I would just like to know if we're talking 1, 6 or 12 months. I need indicators for both bookmarks and breakpoints, but breakpoints are definitely the most important, so if it's 12 months, I will have to give your sample a try. I would just hate to spend time on implementing an inferior solution to get my application beta ready, and then once it's ready, you might have real indicator support.

So, I would like to see your sample, but a timeframe indication would REALLY help me as well :)

Hi Kasper,

I believe per an above reply we had asked you to e-mail our support address for it but perhaps you never did.  Please send an e-mail and we'll reply with it.  The example shows how to make breakpoint indicators in the current version.

I believe indicators are probably the next "big" feature area on the priority list.  So they will likely be part of the 2013.1 release.

Actipro Software Support

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Kasper,

I wanted to let you know that today's WPF and Silverlight controls v2013.1 releases have added indicators to SyntaxEditor. Please see our blog for details:

http://blog.actiprosoftware.com/post.aspx?id=98fc387d-0ede-4f49-9dc2-bf78a880c87d

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.