Posted 12 years ago by 7Alpha7
When scaning an AST to look at some expression matching some needs, it's necessary to resolve the AST expression. I understand I need to use a Resolver and I am told that it's good to provide a context for this purpose.

But once more the context is easilly found from a open document, with CSharpContextFactory that needs a TextSnapshotOffset, when in a closed file or a text string there is not such thing (or I don't know yet how to get it).

What I don't know is what is the risk of not providing a context to resolve a source string ? I bet it would not be enough to decide the matching needed.

In fact my purpose is to scan source files in a project, not open in a SyntaxEditor, and use a resolver to find what I want, but providing it the right solution context, I mean all the IProjectAssembly etc... so that the types of the source string would be resolved inside the right context of the solution (a project, and its references).

[Modified at 12/10/2011 12:42 PM]

Comments (6)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Even if you don't want to open a SyntaxEditor for whichever document you are trying to scan, you can load up a CodeDocument completely independent of any UI and assign its language to a .NET add-on language. It will parse the same as if a SyntaxEditor was open (will use worker threads) and will update the ParseData property when the parsing is completed. You can still get contexts, etc. with this too.

Actipro Software Support

I saw the CodeDocument stuff but I didn't understand how to share with it the diffent IProjectAssembly and SyntaxLanguage instances I already have in a solution / project pattern, used by the intellisense.

I saw how to get an AST tree from a CodeDocument but I couldn't figure out how to resolve an Expression of such an AST with the Resolver provided by an already existant IProjectAssembly AND give it a context at the same time.

A sample would be appreciated.
Say you have a solution with two projects. You'd want to make two instances of the appropriate language (like CSharpSyntaxLanguage). Each one will have its own IProjectAssembly with their own references. You'd use language #1 for any document that should use project #1, and you'd use language #2 for any document that should use project #2.

What sort of expressions are you trying to resolve? Just things like identifiers and member invocations or other things? I need to know that to answer with more detail. Perhaps a tiny code snippet showing what you are trying to resolve would be helpful.

Actipro Software Support

In that kind of context, I would have queued say two SourceFiles to the project #2 which has the project #1 as references. The project #1 would define a Class #1 with member func(). I would need at some moment to look at one of the source file content of the project #2, defining a class Class #2 with several members, to find how many invocations of func() of the type Class #1 is made in the whole Class #2 implementation, and with exactly what parameters instances (for exemple, which strings if the parameter if of type string).
project #1
  Class #1 in file Class1.cs
    func(string s){
    }

project #2

using project #1 (understand what I mean)
  Class #2 in file Class2.cs
    Class#1 c;
    call1(){
      c.func("a");
      c.func("b");
   }
    call2(){
      c.func("aa");
      c.func("bb");
      func("cc");
   }
   //does not interest me
   func(string s){
   }

Here I would find four invocations, with "a", "b", "aa" and "bb" as parameter instances. If a another func() function is define somewhere, I would need to be sure it's the one on Class #1 invoked.
Once you know the offset of the various identifiers (like 'func') that you want to examine, you can do things like this:
var context = new CSharpContextFactory().CreateContext(new TextSnapshotOffset(document.CurrentSnapshot, offset));
if (context != null) {
    var resultSet = context.Resolve();
    // Examine results
}
The results will show you which type/member, etc. it resolves to. Members can point to their declaring type and types tell you which assembly, if any, defined them.

[Modified at 12/13/2011 10:20 AM]

Actipro Software Support

Ok I see. I suppose that I will get the offset with the AST. I missed the TextSnapshotOffset constructor.

Thank you.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.