SaveFile does not consider header and footer text

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Tobias Lingemann - Software Devolpment Engineer, Vector Informatik GmbH
Version: 4.0.0288
Hi there,

I am a bit disappointed about the poor support of the header and footer text properties.
First of all, there is no property or method to get the whole document or its length and secondly, SaveFile() only writes the content of Document.Text.

So I must assume, that this behavior is "by design". Do I really need to implement all the basic functions like saving a file all by myself or will there be better support for this in the future?

Best regards, Tobias Lingemann.

Comments (3)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Tobias,

Yes that is by design. The document text is what is intended to be saved/loaded from files, not the header/footer. Header/footer is only for contextual use by parsers.

If we did allow saving of header+document+footer out to a file via SaveFile, we wouldn't know how to split that back up appropriately when it was loaded later via LoadFile. That would be extremely confusing to developers and would lead to errors.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Tobias Lingemann - Software Devolpment Engineer, Vector Informatik GmbH
An alternative I would like much better would be to add an indicator that could hide text regions.
This way I would not have to constantly update the text properties. And since its just a GUI thing, it would be more appropriate. I guess it would be easier for you to implement too.

For you to understand my situation. My editor consists of three parts. On the left side there is a navigation view where you can select a function. On the right upper side is an editor that constantly shows the variables section of the document. On the right lower side is an editor that shows the selected function.
So both editors show a different parts of the document.

At the moment only one of them is doing the parsing, because for the upper editor I don't need an intelli prompt.

[Modified at 02/03/2012 04:18 AM]

Best regards, Tobias Lingemann.

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Tobias,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.