Spider Writer Stops responding!

Spider Writer Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 23 years ago by Brian M. Reisman - Washington
I am instructing a class in ASP and using the Trial Version of Spider Writer for the students to write their code (With Permission from ActiPro). On some, not all, of the computers when the student enters a dot after text (Not a recognized object) the processor climbs to 100% and stays there.
Specifically the line:
<LINK Rel="Stylesheet" Type="text/css" HREF="myStyles.css">
When the student enters the '.' after "myStyles" the program stops responding... this was duplicated with other similar examples.
The configuration of the machines are:
    <li> NT Server 4.0 sp4
    <li> IE 5.5 (No Service Pack)
    <li> Netscape Navigator 4.08
    <li> Netscape Navigator 6.01
    <li> IIS 4 (Option Pack)

Brian M. Reisman, MCSD, MCDBA, MCSE, MCT, CNA

Comments (6)

Posted 23 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Brian,

That's strange... we haven't run into that yet. I'll try to duplicate it on our NT4 box. In the mean time, does it still seem to happen if you turn off IntelliPrompt?

Actipro Software Support

One of my other students mentioned that they were running into the same problem (Processor rising to 100%) when they were typing straight text (w/o the need for intelliprompt to start [my assumption]); I told the students to turn off intelliprompt, some were still complaining about the issue. They may not have actually turned it off at that point though (Don't really have time in the class to troubleshoot the product we chose, we had to have the students who were running into trouble use Notepad); i will confirm all of the issues tomorrow morning prior to the students coming into class.

Thanks for you prompt reply.

I spent some time trying to get it to duplicate here but was unable. I also stepped through the code for pressing the period key when in the context you described but it doesn't do anything special. The problem must lie somewhere else, as you said, connected to just typing.

It's odd that we haven't gotten reports of this happening before. Another thing you might check... when the Attributes sidebar is visible, it loads in tag data as you move around. Try closing that to see if that helps.

See if you can get more information on whether it's happening just in tags or anywhere in the document. I'll continue to look through our code for places where loops would happen while typing.

Also see if you can find a surefire set of steps to duplicate it. It's hard for us to track problems down if we can't duplicate them here.

Thanks Brian!

Actipro Software Support

Like i had said i couldn't even duplicate it on the machine (Same configuration as the students') that i was using. Out of 8 Students 3 had had the problem. I will fiddle tomorrow morning - Thanks again for being so quick to help!

After looking at our code, the following happens as you type:
    <li>The third-party editor control we use determines if you are in a tag or not and gathers tag information
    <li>Spider Writer determines the context of where the cursor is (in a tag, in script, etc.)
    <li>If in a tag, Spider Writer uses an XML parser to parse through our tag data file and find info for the tag
    <li>If the Attributes sidebar is visible, Spider Writer loads all the attribute info which is in the current tag into the sidebar
This is a simplification of the process but that's generally what happens when you are editing tags. I'm focusing on tags since that's where you first found the problem. Let me know tomorrow if it's happening elsewhere as well.

From the above, it's unlikely that the third-party control we use would lock up but that is a possibility. A loop most likely would not be caused by our context-determining code. The XML parser has caused us some grief in the past however it has never locked up like that from what we've seen. It is possible though if you find that this is only happening in tags. For the Attributes sidebar, there is a lot of code that makes that work. Problems could possibly be in there. We can determine that by seeing if the problem shows up after you close the Attributes sidebar.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v5.2.0) was released 23 years ago, which was before the next post in this thread.
Posted 22 years ago by Aller
The same sort of happened to me 5 minutes ago. Using 5.20.0610, I tried to write:
  &lt;!-- #include virtual="/inc/bottom.inc.asp" --&gt;
As soon as I hit the first . (bottom.) it stopped, Task Manager said the program was not responding. I'm using Win2k Pro with SP2.

Update: Just now I noticed the thing about turning off IntelliPrompt, I did that and it worked.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: Aller ]