File permission error on saving

Spider Writer Suggestions and Support Forum

The latest build of this product (v5.2.0) was released 23 years ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 23 years ago by Tim F - Los Angeles
I routinely get an error that SW couldn't save a file because of file permissions. Usually if I wait, this problem goes away. I'm using an NT4 server with SP6a and don't get these errors with other editors working on the same ASP files (Visual InterDev, text editors, Cold Fusion Studio etc).

Are there some settings I need to change in SW?

Thanks

Comments (5)

Posted 23 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Tim,

Could you post the exact error? And does this only happen when you hit the Save button? Thanks.

Actipro Software Support

The message is "Permission denied - Check file permissions." [OK]
Are you saving on a server or on your local computer? Are you using some form of source control?

The Microsoft documentation says that this error happens when "The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started."

Actipro Software Support

I'm saving on a remote server. No source control is in use. I'm not doing anything to the server (starting etc). Oddly a few minutes later, the file usually can be saved - although the "time out" period seems to vary. It's almost like the file is locked by another user or process, but I know I'm the only one working on the pages.
Tim,

Unfortunately I don't know what I can do in this situation. The file saving routines use standard Visual Basic file I/O commands so it's strange that other applications would work ok but Spider Writer occasionally has the locking. If you do find out any more information about this, please let us know.

Actipro Software Support