The latest build of this product (v5.2.0) was released 23 years ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 22 years ago by gordian
I've been dragged kicking and screaming into upgrading to the latest version of Netscape (hey, I _liked_ 4.75), and now I'm finding that SpiderWriter (I'm using 5.2) doesn't want to invoke it as an external preview browser. Anyone else having this problem? I had no trouble with it at all under 4.75....

Thanks -

lg

Comments (9)

Posted 22 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Are you using the Netspace button? Maybe you could try setting it up as a regular external application if the Netscape button isn't working. They could have dropped support for the application linking in the new version.

Actipro Software Support

I _was_ using the Netscape button. But when I tried configuring it as an external app, it behaves exactly the same: if Netscape is already open when I try to invoke it, nothing at all happens; if it isn't, it tries to launch and gets as far as the splash screen, then hangs. Any suggestions? lg
For external apps, we just call the program in a standard fashion optionally with the file you're working on as a parameter. It sounds like Netscape may have a bug in it if it locks up on the splash.

Actipro Software Support

Yeah, looks that way. And I don't think it's the only one - bug, that is. Well, it's a fairly new release - maybe they'll get their act together one of these days. Meanwhile I'm back to using 4.75 as my default preview browser, and it works as well as ever.

Thanks -

lg
Posted 22 years ago by Bible Believers Fellowship, Inc. - Baldwin, NY
Netscape 6.2 works fine with my setup (Windows 98 Second Edition). I have set up SpiderWriter 5.2 with Netscape 4.78, Netscape 6.2, and IE 6.0 all as external applications and all of them work fine. No lockups at all. Perhaps your lockup with Netscape 6.2 on the splash screen is from low system resources. Netscape 6.2 eats up a lot of resources as well as being slow to load.
Well, _that_ seemed reasonable. I slapped my forehead and did something about it - it's a new computer as well as a new configuration, and I had an extra 256MB of RAM for it that I hadn't yet installed. Installed it. Tried again. Same thing. With 384MB RAM, and nothing running but SpiderWriter (not my usual working environment, I might add), I had some 68% of system resources free. (Still 53% now, with Netscape loaded.) With Netscape on the browser button, same old Nothing happens. With Netscape as an external app, it still hangs after the splash screen - only difference being that the splash screen remains displayed, whereas before it disappeared after a few seconds. (NB even before the upgrade I had no trouble working with both Netscapes _open_ during a session, as well as IE and some other stuff - it was just getting Netscape to _start_ that was the issue.) So I thank you for an excellent suggestion... but I guess I'm going back to 4.75 as my default preview browser....

lg
What operating system do you run? Maybe Netscape's bug is with one of the newer Windows versions.

Actipro Software Support

Win98-SE - I don't trust those newer Windows versions....

lg
I've had great luck with Win2K. It's the most stable OS I've ever run. I can't say that I feel the same about XP yet.

Actipro Software Support