Posted 19 years ago by Jake Pearson - Software Developer, Alion Science and Technology
Hi,
I got the update to UIStudio this morning. The drop down and arrows feature works great, thanks. Developers at my office can now use the designer on inherited forms, but now the tabs of document area windows get their tabs hidden behind the tool bars at the top of the application. I tracked it down to some code that gets added like this:
this.Controls.SetChildIndex(this.c1MainMenu, 0);
this.Controls.SetChildIndex(this.c1CommandDock, 0);
this.Controls.SetChildIndex(this.statusBar, 0);
If I comment out those lines it seems to work fine. I will email you a screen shot to the support address.

thanks,
Jake

Comments (5)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Jake,

Did you send the screenshot? I never got it.

Question, are you using third-party menus/toolbars? I'm not sure how those work but our docking controls basically always try to be the innermost set of controls within the host container control.

We have started work on menus/toolbars of our own that will eventually be included in a future release of UIStudio. We may have a design chat at some point in the near future if you'd be interested in helping design some of the features.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
If you are using 3rd-Party menus/toolbars, I faced the same problem. This post discusses the resolution:

http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Support/Forums/ViewForumTopic.aspx?ForumTopicID=465
Well that's not really a resolution though because it forces you to use Tabbed MDI only. Although it will work ok if you don't care about standard MDI.

Like the other post says, our dock containers always insert themselves in the innermost part of the form. So that should allow any other controls (like toolbars and statusbars) to be outside of the dock controls.

Now with third-party controls, we can't vouch for how they do their control insertion. So they might not be using similar techniques to ensure that their controls are always on the outerside of the host container control.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Jake Pearson - Software Developer, Alion Science and Technology
Hi,
I believe I have a work around for this problem. First create a usercontrol and put it in your designer. Set it is the HostContainerControl for the dock manager. Then on the form load event put in some code like this:

this.Controls.SetChildIndex(this.yourUserControl, 0);

That will put the dockmanager on the top and everything will work properly.

I believe that you could recreate this error without using any 3rd party components. Instead you could put in a status bar and move it to the front.

thanks,
Jake
If you add controls to the host, you should always send them to the back while in the designer since VS.NET may not put them there when it instantiates the control the first time.

After you do that though, our dock controls should never appear outside of the other controls in the host because there is a lot of code in there when new docks occur to make sure the newly docked controls are innermost within the host container control.

So again, if you have other controls in the host like a statusbar, make sure you right-click on it in the designer and Send to Back. We have a statusbar in our sample app, did that, and never have problems with it moving inside the dock controls.

Let me know if that helps.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.