GUID auto gen suggestions

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Greg Shaffer - Boulder
It would be nice if your software would auto-gen a GUID if a user manually modified an xml layout file and left out the GUID.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Greg

Comments (7)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Greg,

I'm not sure what you need a GUID for. Could you explain more what you mean? Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Greg Shaffer - Boulder
Sure no problem,

We use an xml file for our default layout. This means that we don't use the designer to add new tool windows to our default layout. It looks like UIStudio is now GUID based, so if I want to add a new entry directly to the xml file, it appears I must specify a GUID. For now, what I do is use the Visual Studio "Tools/Create GUID" feature. Previously, I tried to add an entry without a GUID and UIStudio crashed.

It is no big deal for me to create a GUID manually. But, to make changes to DockableWindow-converted layout easier, an auto GUID generator would make things just a little easier.

Thanks,
Greg
So you mean you directly edit the XML layout file?

The GUID in the file provides a truly unique identifier for each tool window. Then if there is docking information, the docking information references the GUID for the appropriate. We could have used Key however it is possible for you to have two keys with the same values (you should never do that though). That's why we made the design use GUIDs instead since those are guaranteed to be unique.

So unfortunately, I don't think we can really automate anything in this respect.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Jake Pearson - Software Developer, Alion Science and Technology
Hi,
I think what we are looking for should be very simple. As you read in the XmlDocument object if the Guid attribute is missing then you can create a new Guid and add it into the attribute list of the toolwindow XmlNode.

thanks,
Jake
That would only work if you did not have any dock info referencing that tool window. Can that be assumed?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Jake Pearson - Software Developer, Alion Science and Technology
Yep.
Ok, this is implemented for the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.