Posted 19 years ago by billb - Software Craftsman, Yye Software
Hello. Has anyone used the smart indent features recently? I searched the forums for previous posts and found one that looked like it was for an old version since the example didn't even compile.

I also didn't have any luck finding examples in the documentation or in the example program. Could someone provide a bit more insight? (I'm doing it for C# and VB.NET if that helps).

Thanks.

Comments (5)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
The sample project has some code commented out for the event but you essentially just say how many tabs to indent in the e.IndentAmount property of the SmartIndent event arguments.

Actipro Software Support

I imagine that there is some way to determine what was typed on the previous line to figure out if I need to indent or not (yes, I'm showing my greeness here).
I believe the SmartIndent only fires if the user presses Enter.

We would like to have more flexible auto-formatting support in the future and are open to all ideas anyone wants to post.

Actipro Software Support

Well for me at this point, the Enter is perfectly fine. What I was looking for is some sample code on how to determine when to indent.
We don't have any on hand, however what you'd do is probably get a TextStream (via Document.GetTextStream) for the current offset and then iterate backwords to see if there is a { (like for C#) that would cause an indent.

By default the IndentAmount will be set to whatever the tab indent of the previous line is.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 26 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.