Another problem with Code HighLighter

CodeHighlighter for ASP.NET Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Tom
Hi,

I don't know if anybody ever encountered the following problem using Actipro Codehighlighter, but when I run the included example, I get the following error message:

The located assembly's manifest definition with name 'ActiproSoftware.CodeHighlighter' does not match the assembly reference.

Or File or assembly name CodeHighlighterTest, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Does anybody know what this means? I allready tried to change the Assembly directive in the register tag to all kinds of stuff, but nothing seems to be working.

Did I forget some kind of reference or so? I don't have a clue.

I'm eager to use this package, there aren't a lot of other software companies who write the same cool thing!

Any help please?

Thank you!!

Tom. (these days)

Comments (12)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
That's odd... it should work fine. We have other people using that version. Which version of VS.NET do you have and what exactly did you do to install the product?

Actipro Software Support

I'm using the Microsoft Developping Environment 2003 v7.1.3088 with the Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1.4322

To install the product, I unzipped the file to some folder, created an IIS virtual directory and opened the sln file.

What DID happen, is that the Studio asked me if I wanted to convert the sollution and it's projects to the formats used by my version of Visual Studio .Net, you think this got something to do with it?

Too bad we can't rebuild the Code Hightlighter :)

Also it is stated, my version would be newer (??) than the version the highlighter is created in. Isn't it backwards compatible?

Anyway, I hope to get it fixed.

Greetings,

Tom.
After you followed the directions in the Readme file and made the IIS virtual directory, were you able to browse to the sample pages and see them without error?

Yes, VS 2003 will upconvert solutions and projects but they still should be able to be compiled. I just tested it on a clean .NET 1.1 box here. I unzipped to a folder, had to remove the references to the CodeHighlighter and Shared assemblies but readded them from the bin folder. Then I recompiled and everything worked ok.

Actipro Software Support

Uhm, what you mean? By surfing to http://localhost?

No, i get the following error right away:

The located assembly's manifest definition with name 'ActiproSoftware.CodeHighlighter' does not match the assembly reference.
It almost sounds like you have multiple versions installed. Have you ever installed a previous version of the component or placed the assemblies elsewhere on your computer?

If you have a clean machine, you should be able to simply unzip the ZIP to a folder, create a virtual folder named CodeHighlighterTest in IIS, open the solution in VS (convert if necessary), maybe reset the references to the CodeHighlighter and Shared assemblies in the bin folder, recompile, and it should work.

Actipro Software Support

Hi, I shouls be having a clean machine, only now, when I try to open the solution, i get the error message The Application for project CodeHightlighter.vbproj is not installed.

when i visit http://localhost/InlineCode.aspx i get the message:
"The located assembly's manifest definition with name 'ActiproSoftware.CodeHighlighter' does not match the assembly reference"

I did exactly like you told me / what's in the manual.
I'm not sure what could be causing this. We have other people using the same version without any issues and I tried it myself on a .NET 1.1 box. Do you have another machine with .NET 1.1 and IIS installed that you could try it on to see if it's something machine-specific?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Kris
Hi I am a collegue of Tom

I also have the same problem on my machine (win xp asp.net 1.1)
For testing we deployed the application to a win2K server with ASP.NET 1.1.
The same error occured.

Is it really necessary to recompille the test project or can I just deploy it ?
We only use C# so i wondered if there is an C# example available ?

Thx in advance !
Kris

Ps: We used the documentation.chm file (section: "using the control") to install the component.
Are we missing some documentation info ?
Hi Kris,

I think I found the issue. Try redownloading the component from our site and let me know if it's fixed now.

BTW, the Readme has simple installation instructions in it.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Kris
It worked !!!
Thank you very much.

Just out curiosity (we spend some time on this one)
Could you tell me why it didn't work ?

Greetings
Kris
What happened was we released a build 11 maintenance release and for some reason the recompile of the test web app project's assembly didn't get moved to the deployment folder. So the CodeHighlighterTest.dll still pointed to the build 10 instead of build 11. You probably could have rebuilt the project and it would have worked ok, but it should work right out of the box like it does now. Thanks for letting us know.

Actipro Software Support

Also Thank you!!

It seems to work fine with me either.
The latest build of this product (v4.0.59) was released 13 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.