Actipro Controls constrained within parent controls

DockableWindow/TabStripPanel for Windows Forms Forum

The latest build of this product (v2.0.0208) was released 19 years ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 19 years ago by Glenn Manion
Is it possible to have a NavigationBar control permanently constrained within a tabbed toolWindow control that allows for docking only within that toolWinow. I have an application that uses multiple tabbed toolWindows that contain ESRI ArcEngine GIS components which works fine but I need to have other tabbed toolWindows that contain a navigationBar and a charting control. In both cases I'd like to have a navagationBar work as a kind of 'buddy' control for the other embedded gis and charting controls for each tabbed toolWindow. Can it be done programatically? If so how?

Thanks in advance....
Glenn Manion.

Comments (9)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Is this a DockableWindow question or a UIStudio question? Just asking because there isn't a NavigationBar in our older DockableWindow product.

I'm still a little confused by what you're asking. Could you explain it a little bit more? Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Sorry about the confusion....

Can I place a toolWindow inside another toolWindow so that the child toolWindow is wholly constrained within the parent toolWindow?

If so, could the child window be docked inside the parent and/or be auto-hidden to the left edge of the parent toolWindow?

Thanks....
Glenn Manion.
If you mean UIStudio, you might actually be able to do this. However you'd have to use two DockManagers. For the second DockManager, you'd make the parent tool window the host container control. This hasn't been tested on our end but I think it could work.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for help....
Unfortunately I had no success with docking toolWindows things inside parent toolWindows. Exceptions were being raised from System.Drawing.dll.

With regard to the NavigationBar, I have an evaluation version of UIStudio and it came with the Docking windows, tab strip and the navigation bar and panel. I can however attach a Navigation Bar inside a given toolWindow which is fine.

Can I attach these NavigationBars programatically to a given toolWindow?

Thanks in advance...
Glenn Manion.
If you send us a small sample application showing what you're trying to do, I can have a look.

Quote:
Can I attach these NavigationBars programatically to a given toolWindow?

Do you mean that you want to place a NavigationBar inside of a tool window at run-time? If so, then yes, that's easy. ToolWindow is a Control itself so you'd just add the NavigationBar to the ToolWindow's Controls collection.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for the help,

The problem that I had was only occuring (and still does) when I attampt to add a navigationPane to the navigationBar in the designer.
I had no problems doing this programatically (which is what I want to do anyway). Also no problems adding the navigationBar to a toolWindow programatically or in the designer.

I have two rather dumb questions though......

1: How do I make the tabs appear at the bottom instead of the top for a set of tabbed mdi toolWindows?

2: How do I make the display change when altering the renderer with the dockManager to a different style (see code below...)

private ActiproSoftware.UIStudio.Dock.VisualStudio2005DockRenderer r1;
r1 = new ActiproSoftware.UIStudio.Dock.Office2003DockRenderer
(ActiproSoftware.Drawing.Office2003ColorSchemeType.WindowsXPOliveGreen);
dockManager1.DockRenderer = r1;

but nothing seems to happen. No problems with doing the same on the NavigationBar. Any ideas.....

Thanks in advance.........
Glenn Manion.
If you are still having issues with the designer, please email us a small project with the steps to reproduce it.

1) Right now you can't change the tab alignment in the tabbed MDI. I'll add that to the TODO list though.

2) That should work however keep in mind that there are three renderers in use for docking controls. The DockRenderer, TabbedMdiContainerTabStripRenderer, and ToolWindowContainerTabStripRenderer should all be set.

Actipro Software Support

With regard to the renderers for the toolWindows and tabs,
how do I set a particular color scheme for these before linking to their respective dockManager. The dockRenderer and navigationBar renderer constructors could be initialised to a windows color scheme, the TabbedMdiContainerTabStripRenderer and ToolWindowContainerTabStripRenderer don't seem to facilitate that?

Thanks in advance....
Glenn Manion
Each renderer is designed a little differently. All renderers that are built with the name "Office" at the start accept a color scheme setting. So to do the tabs using an Office theme, you'd use a Office2003DocumentWindowTabStripRenderer for the tabbed MDI, etc.

Actipro Software Support