modify ToolWindow size!

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Thomas Hahn
Hello.

How can I programmatically modify a ActiproSoftware.UIStudio.Dock.ToolWindow size *after* the control is created?

This has to apply to "floating, docked and undocked" ToolWindows.

Thanx for your answer in advance.

Comments (7)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Thomas,

That's something we have on the TODO list. Still trying to figure it out. The problem is where you have a situation like an undocked floating container with multiple tool windows in it but you change a size. Figuring out how to filter those changes up is an issue. Maybe we only resize the floating window if there's a single tool window in it. Otherwise we just make the tool window bigger in its existing container. Any thoughts?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
I'd like to be able to do what Visual Studio 2005 does. The "Find/Replace" toolwindow changes sizes as you switch between various Find and Replace modes. When it's docked, the size isn't changed. When it's floating, the ToolWindow is automatically sized to fit the contents. If the Find/Replace toolwindow is docked with other toolwindows in the same container, the container is resized and all toolwindows within the container are resized as well.

I was just working on a Find/Replace dialog similar to that in VS 2005, and this is functionality I'd be looking for.
Posted 19 years ago by Domenico
Perhaps we can resize a toolwindow at runtime when the toolwindow container contains only one window and it's not docked (so only when the toolwindow it's floating or tabbed).
In my application I'd like to do it. When do you think to release the next version?
Suggestion: I try to use the FloatingSize and DockedSize properties, but I noticed that this size includes the border and the caption of the window, So the client area is smaller. It could be useful if any change to the ControlSize property will modify FloatingSize and DockedSize, so the programmer hasn't to worry about toolwindow state and caption size.
Question: how can I resize a toolwindow when it's in tabbed state and Mdi-looking?

Thanks
We hope to get a new maintenance release out in the next week sometime however I'm not sure that this feature will be in it.

For resizing a document window in standard MDI, use DocumentWindow.FindForm and that will give you the MDI child Form reference. Then just resize that.

Actipro Software Support

Another suggestion for a future release: add two properties MaximumSize and MinimumSize at the toolwindow class.

Thanks
I've discovered that ToolWindow1.FindForm.ClientSize=NewSize works and change the size of the toolwindow when it's floating or tabbed.
While floating, setting ToolWindow.FloatingLocation and ToolWindow.FloatingSize will move/resize the tool window.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 3 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.