Syntax for embedded languages

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Michael Per
I store XML language definitions in the database so I don't have to deploy them to the client. When I apply the HTML syntax I get the error message that embedded languages can only work if the syntax file loaded from the file stream. Is there a way to override some method (or implement a provider and hook it up) for SyntaxEditor control to provide my own way of retrieving syntax definitions?

Comments (1)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Michael,

If you are just embedding our XML defs as-is, this method won't work for the HTML language since it references other language def files. However, if you load the HTML language and save it back out, it actually will save all the child languages. Then you should be able to store that language def in your database fine. You can even save the language definition using our sample application.

Another option is to keep them all separate and tweak the language so that you merge them at runtime. The dynamic creation form in the sample project shows how to do that.

But I think the first option is best for you.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.