feature req: AutoCase correct for Regex

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by tobias weltner
Maybe it's even already built-in into this superb control (and I overlooked it):
I'd like to see AutoCase correction for tokens that are defined by RegExPatterns.
I know they are identified using regular expressions, but shouldn't it be possible to still auto-correct the static part of it?
If not, I'd like to see something inbetween normal and regex pattern groups where the pattern can contain a variable number of whitespaces (useful for tokens that consist of more than one word).
Autocasecorrection is just sooo important and regex patterns are sooo cool, please combine them... ;-)

Comments (3)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Unfortunately regex patterns can't ever be auto-corrected because of the many variable parts of a regex expression. When performing matches, we aren't tracking what parts of fixed strings and which are things like character classes, etc. Therefore we'd never know which parts of a match can be changed and which parts can't.

The only way to do it would probably come up with a third type of hybrid pattern type.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by tobias weltner
There could be a cool workaround: using AutoReplace for case correction.
Currently, case sensitivity applies both to find and replace.
If you added a mode where only the replace was case sensitive, it would be possible to search for an expression and autoreplace it with its case correct version. To set this up, find and replace would be equal.
Does this make sense?
Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
That wouldn't work because it would slow things way down if everything typed had to do an auto-replace search for each pattern.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.