Stacked ToolWindows

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Jacob Camp
Version: 11.2.0554

Hello,

I'm tryind to create a ToolWindow stacked on top of another ToolWindows so they're both visiable at the same time, but when I try to add the new ToolWindow by setting its DockGroup and DefaultDock properties to Right the ToolWindows get put in a tabbed control. Is there a way to change the default behavior to stack instead of creating a new tab?

Thanks in advance,

--Jake

Comments (3)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jacob,

I'm assuming you are basing your code off of our MVVM or Prism samples. If so can you please put together a small sample project that reproduces your issue and email it over then we can take a closer look. Be sure to remove any executables or change the extension of the zip file to ensure it gets past our email filters.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Jacob Camp

Well, basically I was looking at the Programmatic Creation QuickStart project included in the Actipro Sample Browser. If you start up this project this is exactly what i'm seeing when I add a new ToolWindow, the two ToolWindows are placed in a tab style control (names are Original Tool Window and Another Tool Window) so you can swap between them. Is it possible to add a new ToolWindow to the Right and have them stack, other than physically dragging the ToolWindow on top of the other?

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jacob,

Our MVVM sample, which is included in our Sample Browser, does not support that type of "relative" position. Our Prism Interop and samples do support a DefaultDockRelativeGroup. So you can create two groups, and say group 2 should be docked below group 1. As layouts get more complex it gets much harder to "describe" that using simple configurable properties like DefaultDock, etc.

In both our MVVM sample and our Prism support, you have full control over where things are opened. In MVVM, you could just tweak the DockSiteViewModelBehavior class to fit your needs. In Prism, you can create a custom ToolWindowInitializer and override it's Open method.

In both cases you can perform any type of programmatic layout. But what you are describing is not possible with the DockGroup and DefaultDock.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.