No Zero-Width Alt-Selection

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Cody Thompson - Space Systems Engineer, a.i. solutions
Version: 12.1.0304
Platform: .NET 4.5
Environment: Windows 8 (64-bit)

Alt-Selection, knock as block selection in your help file, has an issue with it that is very frustrating that I am hoping can be addressed. In Visual Studio or Notepad++ (or almost any modern IDE), if you hold Alt+Shift and arrow key up through multiple lines, the caret extends over those lines and allows you to type on those lines. This does not happen in the Actipro Syntax Editor. The Syntax Editor, instead, highlights the entirety of the lines between the locations in the document, which is not what standard IDEs do in this case. It then disallows you from typing on those lines. Block selection works in the Syntax Editor in the case where the block selection is at least 1 character wide, but it doesn't support zero-width selections.

This is reproduceable in the demo solutions that come packaged with the product as well.

Is there any way to correct this to allow for zero-width alt-selection? Furthermore, is there any way to get the caret to show across multiple lines like in other IDEs?

[Modified 11 years ago]

Comments (4)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Cody,

Sorry but there isn't an option for those things right now.  We'll add the suggestion to the TODO list.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Cody Thompson - Space Systems Engineer, a.i. solutions

Thanks for that! I hope that this gets implemented, as I look forward to being able to use it. :)

Answer - Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Cody,

Check out this blog post:

We are adding multi-line editing features via block selection in the next release.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Cody Thompson - Space Systems Engineer, a.i. solutions

How exciting! Thank you very much for letting me know about this, and I look forward to the next release so that I can put it to good use!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.