Hoping it can compile and run code

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Jeffery Zhao

I'll be glad to see the app can compile my source code and run it. With certain input I can get output to examine my code.

It's OK even if I have to pay a little for it.

The compile function is just like the app CodeBox on win8 store.

Comments (14)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jeffery,

The problem with Windows Store apps is that unless a compiler is written to specifically support WinRT, it can't be used natively.  The only other option is to have some form of cloud-based compiler.  Perhaps the app you mention does that sort of thing?  Do you have any details on how their compilation works?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Jeffery Zhao

Yes,It's internet-based. But I think it's OK if my code will keep privacy once I submit it to the server.

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Are you aware of any public services that do compilation/execution in the cloud?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by UniversityProgrammer

Well. For some reasons the app “CodeBox” actually IS able to run and compile for example java… gotta check it

Hello, they say "online program compile and execution", meaning they are hooking up to some backend service in the cloud to do it.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Arturo Torres Sánchez

I have an idea for enabling compiling, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Windows Store apps can't run executables or anything, but they can launch URLs. So, if you create a stand-alone compiler (which will have to be downloaded separately) and register it with a custom protocol (for example, codewritercompiler://), then you could launch the URL from Code Writer, and the desktop app would received the signal and do the compiling.

Hi Arturo,

That is an idea we've had as well.  We have done some quick tests in the past where a Windows Service was installed on a machine (which theoretically could be local or remote) and we used WCF to make calls to it.

The wrinkle with this is that Microsoft explicit states in their rules for Windows Store apps that you are not allowed to set up such a service to run locally and work around the sandbox limitation of Windows Store apps.  I can understand this due to the possibility that malicious code could be put into such a service.  We haven't tried it in a production application but it sounds like Microsoft blocks loopback (127.0.0.1) in production (outside of VS):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16783974/wcf-service-reference-not-working-on-other-pc/16794488#16794488

If that could somehow be overcome, and if there is enough interest among the Code Writer user community, we might be open to starting an open source project on GitHub that would contains the full source of this service.  We could work with you, the developer community, to spec things out and come up with a service that supported various commands (compile, execute, etc.), callable by Code Writer.  The developer community could choose to implement these commands for various languages they desire these sorts of features for.  Thoughts?

Actipro Software Support

how about the option to compile on your homepage and embed this inside the app?

As an example: the site http://www.compileonline.com allows you to compile your code with no need to have java installed on your personal computer!

i really wish to help you guys at actipro with that problem!!

[Modified 10 years ago]

Posted 10 years ago by neocox

Another option is just upload and execute via SSH protocol in remote system. The execution can be for compilation & deployment, just execute interpreter, etc. 

Posted 10 years ago by Arturo Torres Sánchez

Maybe I don't fully understand this, but doesn't the system you're in affect the compilation? What if the binary the remote service sends you back is useless for you?

[Modified 10 years ago]

To sum up, Windows 8 apps don't allow us to run any .exe files or even access local services on the same machine.  Thus any sort of compilation service must be implemented in the cloud or a remote computer and results can really only come back in some textual format (no .exe files, etc.).

Getting into hosting compilation services isn't really something we want to get into at this time since that would involve charging subscriptions, etc.  We would be willing to either partner with a third party service that already does this, or have an open source project (see notes in a previous reply above) where the community could design a service that could run on a machine.  In either case, Code Writer would have to interact with the service, pass them code, and render results.

Also note that Code Writer is not a full blown IDE.  It is more for working with single files, so some languages, by their nature, might not compile correctly since they would potentially have references that don't resolve.  I'm not sure of the best way to handle those scenarios.

We haven't really worked with the online web editors so we are open to any thoughts you have.  The more detailed the better.

Actipro Software Support

then try teaming up with the guys from CodeBox, or even with compileonline.com
i bet they would benefit from this as promotion or even from the reputation to be part of the first windows rt app that is able to compile.

Posted 6 years ago by John Bonifas

>>Hi Jeffery,

>>The problem with Windows Store apps is that unless a compiler is written to specifically support WinRT, it can't be used natively.

...Then it is no better than Notepad to me. There are many, many apps out there, such as the fine PsPad (which I use), which do support compilers and previews. What makes codeWriter better than those then?

[Modified 6 years ago]

Posted 6 years ago by GrzegorzP

Hi,

I know that the topic was opened long ago, but I did not notice that something changed in it,
So I add something from yourself.

I think the solution would be to add a Makefile generator?

Would it solve the compilation problem? I think, at least partially, yes.

Makefile is a text file, and this type of file can be opened and saved by Code Writer.
This file would have different configurations for different compilers and when the compiler was selected for use, it would set its parameters as default.
Just calling the make command from the cmd window would not be a problem,
provided that the configuration file is always in the same place, and the paths to sources, libraries and compilers change only in the Makefile file itself.
You can also set the capturing of compilation errors to a file and read it as a text file, interpreting it accordingly.

Grzegorz

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.