Simplified ribbon

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 5 years ago by Bjørnar Sundsbø - Norway
Version: 18.1.0675

Hi,

I was just wondering if simplified ribbon is planned to be part of the WPF controls in the near future? If it is just around the corner, I'm interested in looking at a preview, if possible.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Comments (17)

Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Do you mean a single line version like OneNote or something else?  If you mean a single-line ribbon, it's something we may look into in the future but haven't thus far.

Actipro Software Support

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Ok thanks for the links.  Yes, that's the look similar to the OneNote app.  We'll mark down the suggestion.

Actipro Software Support

Excellent! I'll be holding my breath :)

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Posted 4 years ago by Bjørnar Sundsbø - Norway

Hi,

I was just curious if this is on your work-list for the next release.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Not yet... the 2020.1 version will focus on massive enhancements to our Themes for all our products and native controls.  We have a lot of exciting things happening in this area, and will start blogging about some of what we've already completed soon.

Enhanced bars controls is something we'd ideally like to start on later in the year.

Actipro Software Support

I'm curious to see your changes to themes.

By "Enhanced bars controls", is it safe to assume you are referring to the simplified ribbon as one among them?

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Hello,

We just posted our first blog post on new Themes work and will continue posting a bunch going forward.  Keep watching the blog for details.

While we haven't planned out what the bars controls would entail just yet, a goal might be to support a normal Ribbon style, simplified Ribbon style, and perhaps also drag/drop toolbars as in Visual Studio.  Possibly have everything use the same core button, menu, etc. controls.

Actipro Software Support

That's excellent. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the next post will display an overlay similar to the account settings button in Visual Studio, but in a way that it can be visible always, without using popup/adorner/etc to make it display in front of everything else :)

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Hello,

Are you referring to the circular user account button in the title bar in Visual Studio, next to the minimize button?  If so, we have a sample of that too, which we will show in a future blog post.  It's effectively the same concept as the custom Help (?) button in the Application Menu Overlay blog post we just made.  We're getting a little off topic in this Ribbon thread, so feel free to comment in the blog posts with any followup.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 4 years ago by Ralph

Since you are going to make changes to the Ribbon to allow a single row layout, I wonder if it would be worth considering an arbitrary number of rows.  Some other Ribbons can do that out of the box.  In my application a 4-row Ribbon would improve readability dramatically.

[Modified 4 years ago]

Hi Ralph,

The current Ribbon logic is based on a single row of controls but various panels in side that row can support two or three sub-rows based on the layout and space available.  I don't think that four rows would do well because "large" variant buttons are made to render at the same height as three sub-rows.  When there are two sub-rows, they vertically center in that space.  But the main group height remains constant.

The simpler Ribbon layout we would like to eventually add would be a toggle to a shorter single row of controls.

If you need four rows to display your controls, you might be better served with a more traditional docking toolbar setup similar to Visual Studio.  That also is something we'd like to do in the future.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 1 year ago by Chien A.

Just wanted to query on the status of and indicate interest in the simplified ribbon mode mentioned above which I believe still hasn't made it in yet?

We have UI work planned that would benefit from an enhanced toolbar-like system beyond the base WPF toolbar but not a full-blown ribbon, and were a compact simplified mode available at the time we upgrade our Docking & MDI component then we would very likely also purchase Ribbon.

[Modified 1 year ago]

Posted 1 year ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Chien,

Good news, we have been working on a much-improved reimplemented Ribbon that uses the latest Office appearance, supports both Classic and Simplified layout modes, and is heavily designed for MVVM usage.  It's coming along very nicely and we are probably 70-80% through the features needed to get a public beta out.  We also have started building samples for it and will post more on our blog once we have it closer to ready.  I think you're really going to love what we have coming!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 1 year ago by Chien A.

Great to hear and that sounds very promising.

What kind of time-frame would that remaining 30-20% represent (or basically until there's something that would be serviceable)?

Posted 1 year ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

It's our top development priority and has been for a while now.  With the holiday season approaching, we probably won't have a first look until early 2023.  You never know though, maybe something sooner.  We will certainly post on our blog as soon as we have something ready to start testing.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 months ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

We wanted to let everyone know that the ribbon option for a Simplified layout mode is now fully available in the new Bars product's Ribbon control, which released in the WPF Controls 23.1 version.  

More information is here:

https://www.actiprosoftware.com/products/controls/wpf/bars

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.