Reload previously-open documents does not appear to be working

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 1 year ago by Martin - London
Version: 4.2.42

Hi Actipro Support Team,

I have been using Actipro Code Writer for a while (several years) however I recently re-installed it following a clean install of Windows 11 on my laptop and the newly-installed version no longer seems to be "reload[ing] previously-open documents", despite having that setting enabled.

Are you able to advise on this please? (Please let me know if I can provide any further info / diagnostic logs, etc).

Thanks,
Martin

NOTE: I was unable to set the [Platform version] or [Environment] in the ticket details (both dropdowns had no options to select) but please note the issue occured on Windows 11 (Pro) 22H2 build 22621.1413. Thanks 👍🏼

Dabbler developer, most likely found bashing my head against a wall trying to mess around with Microsoft 365, SharePoint, PowerShell, VBA, CMD, JavaScript, CSS, XML, JSON, AutoHotKey, RegEdit, NirSoft

Comments (3)

Posted 1 year ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Martin,

Thanks for reporting this.  We are seeing the same and after debugging it, it seems that the code we have to persist open documents on app close is running.  But when it gets to a place where it tries to create a folder to save unsaved document text, it does a StorageFolder.GetOrCreateFolderAsync call and the app immediately exits.  I don't see any exception listed in the debug output from VS, and nothing shows up in the Windows Event Viewer, so at a first glance, I'm not sure what is suddenly causing this problem in Windows 11 or what the problem even is.  We will investigate more.

Actipro Software Support

Answer - Posted 1 year ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Martin,

We've been able to find a fix for the issue, and it will roll out in the next app update.  We will try and get it out soon.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 1 year ago by Martin - London

Hi Actipro Software Support,

Thanks for the following up on this so promptly and for investigating + identifying a fix so soon! (while not completely app-breaking, if it had gone on for months it would've become an issue so appreciate you jumping on this straight away!) 👍🏼

Also, have to say that Windows 11 is the bane of my existence right now and so I can definitely relate in terms of having thoughts along the lines of "Huh?.. This was completely fine in Windows 10! Why did Microsoft change it?... and make it worse!?"

Seriously though, while I can't speak for everyone the general consensus I get online is that people were quite happy with Windows 10 and realistically if Microsoft had just taken W10 and put an "11" sticker on top, most people would be fine!... Instead Microsoft seem to have meddled with lots of things, but the worst part of it being seemingly for no reason and when no-one asked them too -- taskbar, explorer ribbon, context menu, search, all generally fine before [well, not search, but anyway]... all now notably worse now(!) Urgh!

OK, rant over! 🙂 -- Thanks again for fixing so quickly guys, have a good weekend!

[Modified 1 year ago]

Dabbler developer, most likely found bashing my head against a wall trying to mess around with Microsoft 365, SharePoint, PowerShell, VBA, CMD, JavaScript, CSS, XML, JSON, AutoHotKey, RegEdit, NirSoft

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.