Deploying an app that uses the Ribbon

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Brad Daszynski
Version: 1.0.0348
When deploying an application that uses the ribbon component on another machine, is it necessary to install the ribbon with the setup exe file, or can a DLL simply be placed in the same directory as the application's exe? Thanks.

Comments (3)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Brad,

No you just simply place the Shared and Ribbon DLL files in the same folder as your application and that is it. When you compile your application in Visual Studio, it automatically embeds your license info in it so other than copying the two assemblies over, there's nothing else. You should never (and never need to) use our component installer on end user machines.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Brad Daszynski
Where the ribbon is installed I see a ActiproSoftware.Ribbon.WPF30.dll in Ribbon\v1.0.0347 and one in Ribbon\v1.0.0347\CodeSigned. What is the exact difference between the two and which should I use for deploying? I am assuming the one in Ribbon\v1.0.0347
Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
They are the same except that the CodeSigned version is code-signed by us giving an added level of security that some applications require. However there are bugs in Microsoft's implementation of code sign checking in .NET where when a code-signed assembly is loaded on a computer without network access, it may pause up to 15-30 seconds while it attempts to validate the code signing. This is obviously bad, which is why we include both versions so people who want code signing can have it and those who don't care (most people) can use the regular versions.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.