ContentDivider working with C# language file (Redux)

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by GeorgeNY - CTO, RatchetSoft, LLC
Ok, i must be a dope... 'cause i can't this to work. A prior posting was vague, but pointed me in the direction of adding content dividers to my language definition xml file. I have not been successful as to date. Can anyone help.

Pertinent facts:

1) I am starting with the CSharp language file provided with samples
2) I would like to have content divider lines between each method of a class.
3) The class consists of 6 fixed methods and no properties.

Is this doable? Is it hard or easy? Any examples, tips or non-documented secrets that might help me?

Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.

George P Weihs

Comments (3)

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
I haven't tried this with C#, but I can tell you that it probably won't be easy if possible at all. The trick to content dividers is that you need to be able to specify a specific matching pattern (in the XML file) that, when found, will have a content divider drawn below that line.

The problem with C# is that a method definition is ended by a "}" character. Of course, just about every other block of code is also ended by a "}" character. So the trick is getting it to draw a content divider below a "}" only if that marks the end of a method declaration (not for 'if' blocks and other code blocks). That's a hard pattern to match on.

From what I know about SyntaxEditor, I don't think this is feasible in the current version. It works well for languages like Visual Basic, but C# is hard.

Perhaps you could talk to Actipro Support about making some enhancements here. For instance, it's very limiting to only be able to define a content divider in an XML file. If we could programmatically specify the location of content dividers in a semantic parser (like we do with outlining nodes), they would be a lot more flexible.
Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Lets discuss this in the chat on Wednesday... right now content dividers are placed automatically on a display line when a token that requires them appears. Maybe we need to add something that lets you say whether a document line (as opposed to a display line) needs a content divider. And then whenever we do our routines for determining if a display line needs a divider, it can also check the flag on the associated document line. But in word wrap cases, it would only show the divider on the last display line for a document.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
I like the idea of having two ways to get the content dividers. We'll chat more on Wednesday.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 5 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.