Actipro Gauge Performance

Gauge for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Ward Horsfall
Version: 9.2.0514
Hi,

I have some technical enquiries regarding the "Actipro Gauge"
controls. Can you tell me how many updates they can handle per second
for a WPF (Windows form like application).

I am hoping to be able to achive a maximum of 200 updates per second,
can I reasonably expect that kind of performance from your controls?

Are there any further information you can provide so I can get an
idea of performance scaling of these controls that I can read about?

PS. I am also interested in hearing about other people’s experiences
in looking at the performance of WPF. :)

Thanks,

Ward

Comments (3)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Ward,

We don't have any exact benchmarks for the gauge controls, as it largely depends on the hosting application. In general, the human eye can only see 30 frames per second. So anything faster than that is going to just be lost on the user. By default in WPF, animations run at 60 fps, so that is probably a reasonable upper limit. But you may need to tweak this based on the performance of your application.

With our Gauge controls, you can disable the animations, which will give you the fastest possible update. If you have animations enabled, then whatever duration you have set needs to be taken into account.

The DigitalGauge control supports a "refresh rate", which allows you to update as fast as you like and it will only update the display on a specified interval (say every 10 seconds). This reduces the noise and gives the user a change to read the values. We've marked down a TODO item to add a similar feature to CircularGauge and LinearGauge.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 13 years ago by Berney Villers
Was this "refresh rate" option ever implemented for the Circular Gauge?

The CPU consumption with high frequency updates via INotifyPropertyChanged is a killer with many simultaneous gauges.

BIG negative marks btw for the refusal of a simple pre-sales phone call and no phone support option.

Nontheless, I must finish my comparison since your gauge product is among the best performing options I can dig up for WPF at present.
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Berney,

Yes, this feature was introduced in WPF Studio 2010.2 build 0531.

Please keep in mind that while we don't offer phone support, we're always happy to provide timely responses to your support requests. Having things tracked digitally enables us to log who asks what and we can compile that data into our TODO lists when appropriate to best gauge what customers are looking for.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.