Is it possible to have multiple UI Threads within a DockSite

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 13 years ago by Greg Shaffer
Version: 11.1.0542
Hi,

I have an application that receives many unsolicited messages via a messaging service which I dispatch back onto the UI Thread for rendering via ToolWindows within a single DockSite.

There are times when more than one ToolWindow can receive a bunch of messages, and the system will appear to slow down a bit, as expected.

I'm wondering, is it possible to create ToolWindows on their own UI Threads? All the examples I've seen involve putting Windows onto their own STA thread.

Thanks,
Greg Shaffer

Comments (3)

Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Greg,

Unfortunatley, no. All the Tool Windows must be owned by the same thread as their parent DockSite. But you can certainly run tasks in the background, then dispatch them to the UI.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by jakup

Hi,

I'm in the same position and would like to know if anything new has been introduced to allow this?

Are there any workarounds to this?

Thanks!

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jakup,

No I'm sorry but nothing has changed in the fundamental design of the product.  Tool windows are regular WPF controls themselves and don't have a message pump or anything like top-level Window controls do.

The only possible workaround would be to use a Window as a child control of a tool window somehow.  But I'm not sure offhand if that is possible or not in WPF.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.