A toolbar control - what to do?

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 13 years ago by Kasper
Version: 11.1.0545
Hi guys,

For my project, where I'm using the Ribbon control, I also need some more regular, local toolbars, to stay in the top of my docking windows. They will be used to control only the feature found in the docking window. I see that I can use the ribbon buttons and so on as standalone controls, but which control should I use to host them? I have looked into both the standard WPF toolbar and a simple panel, but the WPF toolbar doesn't look good here and a panel doesn't look like a toolbar. Can I style the panel to look like a part of the application and a real toolbar, so that the background is painted in much the same way as the main Ribbon control? And what about overflowing controls? Any ideas? :)

Comments (5)

Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Kasper,

Sorry we don't have any plain toolbar custom controls at this time. However you certainly can style a ToolBar or Panel however you like. All our brushes can be examined from the "Theme Browser" in the Sample Browser. You can use one that is for Ribbon in your own panel as a background.

Also as a side note, the 2011.2 version will have themes for native controls (like ToolBar) that match our own custom controls. So that will help with this scenario too.

Actipro Software Support

Awesome! I'm already looking forward to the next version, because of the SyntaxEditor changes, so this is even better. Do you have a release date yet or are you still working on that? Also, when will you start working on indicators for SyntaxEditor? I'm looking forward to being able to access that feature as well :)

The Theme browser is really great, but I can't seem to find the brush you use to draw the background of the Ribbon control itself - what's that one called? I initially thought it was RibbonControlLargeBackgroundNormalBrushKey, but that doesn't seem right after all :)

[Modified at 08/25/2011 03:44 PM]
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
No release date yet, basically as soon as we can get the themes updates wrapped up.

Not sure on an indicators date either but it's on the TODO list. I'll add this post to the TODO item so we can let you know when it's ready.

I think the brush mgiht be: TabContentBackgroundBrushKey

Actipro Software Support

>No release date yet, basically as soon as we can get the themes updates wrapped up.

Cool!

>Not sure on an indicators date either but it's on the TODO list. I'll add this post to the TODO item so we can let you know when it's ready.

I would appreciate that a lot, but I obviously follow your blog as well :). Indicators are pretty important to my application, so I hope it will be within the next couple of months, but I now that you're very busy. Anyway, here's my vote for the indicator feature, since parameter hints, which was highest on my wishlist, seems to be scheduled for the next update :)

>I think the brush mgiht be: TabContentBackgroundBrushKey

Yes that looks correct, thank you. There sure are a lot of brushes for the Ribbon!
Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Kasper,

I wanted to let you know that today's WPF and Silverlight controls v2013.1 releases have added indicators to SyntaxEditor. Please see our blog for details:

http://blog.actiprosoftware.com/post.aspx?id=98fc387d-0ede-4f49-9dc2-bf78a880c87d

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.