Unable to get into Design Mode

Spider Writer Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 23 years ago by Barry
Loaded an existing document. Webview and Document Source OK. How get the following Microsoft Internet Explorer error message

"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site dhtmled:.

Could not complete the operation due to error 8010004"

Can run Design on all the other html pages in folder. Document that causes the error message is a little larger than the others (55kb vs 17kb). Otherwise, I can not pin-point any difference.

Is there a snippet of code I should be looking for that causes this?

Thanks

(gone for the day - will check back tomorrow)

Comments (2)

Posted 23 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Barry,

The Design view uses a third-party control. It's unfortunate that when it can't load a document it doesn't give back a more detailed error.

Anyhow, we've noticed several things that may cause that error. Sometimes client-side scripting, server-side scripting almost always causes it, and I've seen it happen with things like EMBED tags.

If you want to narrow down the problem in your document, you might try saving a copy of it and chopping out bits and pieces of the document in Document Source view until it loads in Design view. Then you'll know from your end what works and what doesn't.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 23 years ago by Barry
Thanks for the suggestion. Turns out I didn't closed the <body> tag at the very end. Added a "/" and everything was fine.
The latest build of this product (v5.2.0) was released 23 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.