Workaround for missing PropertyChanged event?

Grids for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Nate Smith - Software Engineer, Logical Progression Group
Version: 9.2.0515
I noticed a few posts/requests regarding a general PropertyChanged event that could be subscribed to and saw that it was on the TODO list. So first, please add me to the list of people who would appreciate this feature.

I am hoping there is a way to work around this event not being included in the control. I am writing a form designer and the 'SelectedObjects' property will be filled with various form elements such as buttons, labels, images, etc. What I am trying to implement is an 'Undo / Redo' system so that if 5 buttons and 5 labels are selected, and the 'Height' property is modified on all selected objects, I can save before and after snapshots of the selected objects. So ideally the workflow would be like this:

1) PreviewPropertyChanged event fires - save snapshot of selected objects before their Heights are changed
2) Changes to Height are applied to the SelectedObjects
3) PropertyChanged event fires - save snapshot of selected objects after their Heights are changed

I know that I can listen for changes on individual items, but I really need to group this 'mass' change into a single 'unit of work' so it can be undone and redone as a single operation.

Any suggestions on overcoming this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Nate,

We've been discussing this topic and have a few issues we need to work out. We'll let you know what we come up with.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 14 years ago by jeff jarrell
+1 on this. I have the exact same problem.
Posted 14 years ago by Nate Smith - Software Engineer, Logical Progression Group
Hello, I was wondering if there was any progress on this issue or a suggested workaround? When I saw that there may be something in the works I put this part of our product on the back burner to work on other things until this issue was addressed. Unfortunately, the time is fast approaching where I'll have to address this one way or another so I was just pinging you guys to see if there was any movement or further discussion? Thanks in advance!

...oh and thanks for a great product, btw!
Hi Nate,

We started work on this feature today and it will be included in the 2010.1 release (due out in a month or so).

If this timeframe is too long, or if you can't/won't be able to use 2010.1 when it comes out, then let us know. There are some alternative methods for you to execute code before/after a value is changed, but requires a bit of plumbing.

Actipro Software Support

This is great news! I've considered some workarounds but not are preferable to just having these events on the property grid. The time frame shouldn't be a problem since the product's release date is at least 3 months away. Thanks for the quick response!
Hi Nate,

We've completed the PropertyChanging/PropertyChanged features. You can find more info on our blog.

Actipro Software Support

This is great news! I'm looking forward to getting this feature and checking it out. Thanks for the prompt and helpful response! This is the kind of customer service most other component vendors are seriously lacking. Kudos!
The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.